(Summer Job) Interview Skills, Application Letter and Résumé
If you are invited to attend an interview, it means that you have preliminarily met the requirements of the company and the post. You should make good use of the chance, get well prepared and demonstrate your strengths as far as possible to convince the interviewer that you are the most suitable candidate.
Preparation for the Interview
- Gather information about the post and the organisation, such as job nature and requirements, development and outlook of the trade, etc.;
- Practise relevant skills related to the post you apply for, e.g. Chinese and English typing, computer software application, etc;
- Prepare concrete answers to questions often asked during interviews and rehearse the interview beforehand so that you will become more confident and less likely to get nervous in the interview;
- Pay attention to current affairs and hot topics;
- Prepare some questions about the post and the recruiting organisation and raise them to the interviewers at the end of the interview;
- Go to bed early the night before the interview. Sufficient rest will keep you in high spirits, enhance your confidence and ability to respond to changes;
- Being late for a job interview is undesirable. It upsets you and leaves a poor impression on the interviewer. Plan the route and find out the traffic condition of the place of interview beforehand. Arrive preferably 15 minutes before the scheduled time to allow yourself time to settle down and get ready for the interview.
To attend an interview, you should bring
Identity card; Ball pens; Résumé; Academic certificates, both original and copies; Work history proof, both original and copies (e.g. reference letter, employment contracts, resignation letter, etc.); Passport photos; Employer's address and telephone number; Mobile phone.
(*Get ready important documents like proof of academic qualifications and work history and organise them systematically. To give the interviewer a good impression, make sure that you can produce the documents in good order for inspection; Don't bring excessive personal belongings or things which are not related to the interview.)
Appearance in the interview
Be neat, clean and tidy, from head to toe. Behave naturally and keep poised; Don't dress too showily; Avoid heavy make-up and wearing too many accessories.
When you arrive…
- Remember to turn off your mobile phone;
- Tell the staff politely the purpose of your visit and wait patiently;
- Refer to the résumé when you are asked to complete a job application form. Complete it carefully and neatly;
- Don't walk around, touch or use any items of staff in a carefree manner;
- Don't appear to be impatient and tired while waiting.
When entering the interview room…
- Knock the door before you go in. Smile and greet the interviewers politely;
- Sit down properly when invited or prompted by the interviewer.
During the interview…
- Keep calm and smiling. Don't be too reserved;
- Be sincere and polite, but not too modest or humble;
- Speak with a friendly manner, at a proper speed and volume. The pronunciation should be clear and the tone be affirmative;
- Don't cross your arms in front of the chest, lest you would be mistaken as an unfriendly person;
- Keep appropriate eye contact with interviewers. Maintain eye contact with the interviewers to show your confidence and respect. Don't stare at interviewers. It would be regarded as impolite and would make interviewers feel stressful;
- Avoid small gestures such as playing with your fingers, rubbing hands or patting your hair. This will give the interviewer an impression that you are immature, impatient or lack of confidence;
- Listen carefully to the interviewers' questions; answer precisely and clearly. Don't simply say "yes" or "no". - You should elaborate the key points clearly;
- Nod where appropriate when listening to the interviewers to show your interest in the topic and agreement with the interviewers;
- At the end of the interview, you may ask one or two questions about job duties, training and promotion - prospects to show your interest in the applied post or joining the company;
- Thank the interviewers and say goodbye before you leave.
(Please visit Labour Department website for more about Summer Jobs Employment)