DSE Way out: Ten things that you should know before enrolling non-local Courses in HK
Many Instituions launch non-local degree programmes in Hong Kong, include first-year bachelor's degree programmes and top-up degree programmes. The number of places offered will be flexible to cater for demand. Below are ten points that you should pay attention to.
1. Choose courses which are registered or exempted;
2. Verify the registration/exemption status of the courses by checking the lists of registered and exempted courses at this site or making enquiries to the Non-local Courses Registry's hotlines (Tel: 2520 0255, 2520 0559);
3. Take notice that an advertisement of a registered course should bear the registration number of the course. For an exempted course, it should be stated clearly that the course is an exempted course. In addition, all advertisements of registered courses or exempted courses should contain the statement which reads "It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognise any qualification to which this course may lead";
4. Not to pay any fee or charge before it is sure that the course is registered or exempted under the Ordinance;
5. Check the payment arrangements and refund policy before making payment;
6. Obtain receipts from the course operator when making payment, and the receipts should contain details such as name of the operator, name of the course and the service(s) paid for, amount of the fees/charges, etc.;
7. Keep all receipts and course information issued by the course operator since some of them may serve as a contract with the operator.
8. The registration or exemption of a non-local course under the Ordinance does not carry with it any indication or implication whatsoever that this confers any particular standing to the course or comparability to a local degree programme. The recognition of any qualification for employment purposes is a matter within the discretion of individual employers.
9. If the course you are interested in is delivered in distance learning mode which does not require to be registered, you are strongly advised to check with the course provider/operator on the course details, in particular the qualification to be obtained, the payment arrangements and refund policy before making payment.
10. Understand that some of the courses on the list of registered/exempted non-local courses are locally accredited by the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications under the Qualifications Framework and listed in the Qualifications Register.
For more details, please visit Education Bureau website.