"Be a Government Official for a Day" Programme 2021 (Application Deadline: 30 June 2021)
The “Life Buddies” Mentoring Scheme launches the “Be a Government Official for a Day” Programme 2021. The programme, to be held this August, will offer the opportunity for selected students to shadow a senior government official on the job for a day to gain hands-on experience of an official's work and a better understanding of the Government's operation. It also aims at providing officials a chance to share with students their work experience while learning about students' insights on different issues, their life goals and future plans. The job shadowing process will also help inspire students to develop positive values, multi-perspective thinking, strive to realise their potential and seize opportunities for upward mobility. Please refer to the Programme webpage for more programme background and history.
Application is now open and the details are as follows:
1. Orientation Session – 4 August 2021
An experienced non-governmental organisation has been engaged to organise orientation for selected students prior to the job shadowing to understand their expectations on the programme and help them make suitable preparations for the job shadowing.
2. Job Shadowing – a working day within 9 to 20 August 2021
Students will personally shadow a senior government official for a day, and seize the invaluable opportunity to interact with officials. Officials may on one hand share career stories and aspirations with students, and on the other hand share views with students on their ideas and goals for their future development. Such personal interactions would encourage students to develop positive values and attitudes as well as to think about life planning from different perspectives, inspiring students to aim high when setting goals for their future and to strive at achieving such goals with perseverance and determination.
3. Debriefing Session – 24 August 2021
The experienced non-government organisation will review with the students some key takeaways after the shadowing excerise. Students shadowing different officials could share their different experiences.
4. Sharing Session – 30 August 2021
Lastly, a sharing session will be held for the students to give a presentation to the officials, their principals, teachers, parents and friends, further consolidating their takeaways from the programme.
If you are a local secondary 3 to 6 student in the 2020/21 academic year who possess the following qualities, then the programme is ideal for you –
- Motivation and career aspiration
- Interest in public service
- Analytical and communication skills
On an individual basis, applicants should complete the application form, including a recommendation from their school principal or teacher, and send it to firstname.lastname@example.org by email (Re: “Be a Government Official for a Day” Programme) at or before 11:59 p.m. on 30 June, 2021 (Wednesday).
- The application form should be completed electronically as far as possible.
- Each application form should be submitted in a single pdf file as an email attachment.
- Please do not upload the application form to any cloud drives.
- Selected applicants will be invited to a face-to-face meeting held in mid to late July. A separate notification will be made by email on the relevant arrangement. Applicants who have not received any notification by 31 July may consider their application unsuccessful and no separate notification will be made.
Programme Webpage: https://www.lifebuddies.hk/en/Be_a_Government_Official_for_a_Day_Programme
Contact No.: 3655 4891