United Nations Volunteers - Hong Kong Universities Volunteer Internship Programme
The Government has collaborated with the United Nations Volunteers (UNV) and 3 other local volunteer organisations (namely the Agency for Volunteer Service, Hong Kong Volunteers Association and The Peace and Development Foundation) to implement the UNV-Hong Kong Universities Volunteer Internship Programme since 2015. The purpose of the programme is to encourage the selected undergraduates to develop their personal capacities and global vision, as well as contribute to global peace and development through participating in the volunteer internship. Participants of the Programme are funded by the Government to undertake 6-month assignments in the field units of various United Nations agencies overseas. These assignments cover specific disciplines such as health and education, environment and innovation management.
The first round of 2023 Programme was launched at the end of 2022 with 15 quotas available. The second round of the Programme has been launched with details as follows:
|No. of places||10 participants|
|Service Locations||Indonesia, Malaysia, Nepal and Thailand|
|Fieldwork||Volunteer interns will have the opportunity to participate in short-term field work organised by the United Nations agencies to experience the frontline work of the local service units (such as refugee assistance, disaster response, climate change, etc.), and to gain better understanding on the related issues.|
|Internship Period||6 months (from August 2023 to January 2024), not including the pre-departure training activities and the debriefing session after the volunteer internship|
• Round-trip air ticket from Hong Kong to the service location;
• Monthly living allowance during the volunteer internship period; and
• Medical / life insurance allowance during the volunteer internship period.
Partner Universities (in alphabetical order)
- City University of Hong Kong
- Hong Kong Baptist University
- Hong Kong Metropolitan University
- Hong Kong Shue Yan University
- Lingnan University
- The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- The Education University of Hong Kong
- The Hang Seng University of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
- The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
- The University of Hong Kong
- being holder of valid Hong Kong Permanent Identity Card that aged 18-30;
- attending a full-time undergraduate degree programme in one of the partner universities at the time of application submission;
- recommended by own university with good reference;
- proficiency in spoken and written English; knowledge of other languages of the working destination will be an asset;
- volunteering experience in or outside Hong Kong;
- high motivation, enthusiasm and intercultural competence;
- strong sense of national identity, global vision and sustainability;
- good communication and interpersonal skills; and
- literacy in computer skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and social media.
Application and Enquiries
The closing date for application for this round is 30 May 2023. For more information, please visit the website of the Agency for Volunteer Service.