First aid certificate courses recognised by the Government
First aid knowledge not only means the difference between life and death but also helps one determine the sequence and the priority of first-aid treatments during an emergency. First aid knowledge and skills promote safety awareness at home, at work, at play, on streets and highways. Having learnt first aid, a person is prepared to assist others wisely and is able to distinguish between what to do and what not to do.
Holders of a valid certificate in first aid issued from organisations like Hong Kong St. John Ambulance Association, Hong Kong Red Cross or the Auxiliary Medical Service may enjoy an advantage in job hunting. Below are some first aid certificate courses recognised by the HKSAR Government.
(Click here to know more about first aid)
Hong Kong St. John Ambulance - "Certificate in First Aid" Course (Face-to-face mode) (FA)
1. Principles & Practice of First Aid; 2. Action at an Emergency; 3. The Structure and the Functions of the Body; 4. Dressings & Bandages; 5. Asphyxia; 6. Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation for adult/and infant; 7. Management of Airway Obstruction in adult/and infant; 8. Wounds, Bleeding & Circulatory Failure; 9. Shock & Fainting; 10. Injuries to Bones; 11. Injuries to Muscles, Ligaments & Joints; 12. The Nervous System & Unconsciousness; 13. Burns & Scalds; 14. Poisoning; 15. Procedure at Road Accidents; 16. Handling & Transportation of Injured Person.
30 hours (usually 3 hours/session/week for 10 sessions or 4/5 full days etc.)
Medium of Instruction
Cantonese / English (Chinese courses are held every two months and English courses are organised basing on the number of applicants.)
Candidates attending less than 80% of the lectures will not be eligible for examination. Each candidate must be examined in the following subjects: Theory of First Aid/Bandaging Technique/Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation. Candidates who passed the examination will be awarded the "Certificate in First Aid" which is recognised by the HKSAR Government and is valid for three years. For re-certification, candidates should take a refresher course/re-examination before the expiry of the certificate.
For details and to apply please visit the website of Hong Kong St. John Ambulance.
Hong Kong Red Cross - Standard First Aid Certificate Course (SFA)
1. Introduction of Red Cross Movement; 2. Principle of First Aid; 3. Patient Assessment; 4. Suffocation & Choking; 5. Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation; 6. Burns & Scalds; 7. Unconsciousness; 8. Shock & Bleeding; 9. Wounds & Bandaging; 10. Trauma of Various Parts of Body; 11. Medical Emergencies; 12. Bone, Joint & Muscle Trauma; 13. Environmental Related Health Problems; 14. Introduction of Automated External Defibrillator; 15. Transporting Victim; 16. First Aid Equipments & Relevant Regulations.
30 hours (extra 3 hours for examination)
Medium of Instruction
Cantonese, Putonghua or English
Students should fulfil the following criteria in order to get the Standard First Aid Certificate which is recognised by the HKSAR Government with 3 years validity.
- At least 80% attendance (counted by session)
- Pass in both written and practical examinations
Before the expiry date of the certificate or within 6 months after the expiry date of the certificate, participants can attend a Standard First Aid Certificate Refresher Course (SFAR) and pass the examinations to renew their certificates with 3 years validity.
For details and to apply please visit the website of Hong Kong Red Cross.
Occupational Safety and Health Council - Certificate Of Competence Courses (AMS)Certificate of Competence in First Aid
1. Principles of First Aid and handling of accidents; 2. Asphyxia and resuscitation techniques; 3. Wounds and bleeding and their handling techniques; 4. Handling of casualties of dizziness, syncope and unconsciousness; 5. Injuries of the skeletal system; 6. Burns and scalds; 7. Handling techniques for other injuries; 8. Methods of transporting casualties.
36 hours plus end-of-course examination
Medium of Instruction
Cantonese supplemented with Chinese notes
Award of Certificate: At least 85% attendance and a pass in the end-of-course examination. Trainees will be provided a first aid certificate jointly issued by the Auxiliary Medical Service (AMS) and the Occupational Safety and Health Council (OSHC). This certificate is valid for three years.
For details and to apply please visit the website of Occupational Safety and Health Council.
The Auxiliary Medical Service (AMS)
(The AMS first aid training courses are organised for civil servants and such courses are designed to meet their operational needs. When training places are available, members of the public are also welcome to enrol on the courses for which a fee will be charged. However, due to the current long waiting list and waiting time for the training places, enrolment by members of the public shall be suspended until further notice. For details, please visit the website of AMS.)