What you need to know when applying for AO (Administrative Officer)
Roles and Duties
AOs take up different positions in bureaux and departments, as well as district, Mainland and overseas offices in the Government at regular intervals. Through regular rotation of jobs, AOs receive wide exposure and acquire expertise in different policy areas, as well as develop multi-skills and accumulate rich experience in public administration. Not only are they required to possess a good understanding of their respective policy areas, they should also be alert and sensitive in listening to the views of different stakeholders and members of the public so that they are able to approach policy work with the overall public interest in mind. In formulating policies that contribute to the long-term development and benefits of Hong Kong, AOs also work closely with members of professional grades both within and outside the Government (such as various regulatory authorities and statutory bodies).
Annual Recruitment Timeline
>>>Application Period for AO Post: 18 Sept 2021 to 8 Oct 2021 5:00pm. Now Recruiting: Apply and details)<<<
*The information below is FOR REFERENCE ONLY. The actual periods and details of events will be announced nearer the events. You are advised to refer to the announcements made by then.
>>Beginning of Recruitment Cycle<<
JUL/AUG: Application Period for the Common Recruitment Examination (CRE) and Basic Law Test (BLT)
SEP/OCT: Application Period for the AO Post
OCT: CRE and BLT
DEC: Joint Recruitment Examination (JRE)
FEB/MAR: Preliminary Interview
MAR/APR: Final Interview
JUN/JUL: First Batch of Offers of Appointment (Subject to completion of recruitment formalities)
JUL/AUG: First Batch of New Recruits Reporting Duty
>>End of Recruitment Cycle<<
1. Permanent Residency (At the time of appointment, must be a permanent resident of HKSAR; AND resided in Hong Kong for not less than 7 years.)
2. Qualification (A first or second class honours bachelor’s degree from a Hong Kong university, or equivalent; OR A postgraduate degree from a Hong Kong university, or equivalent, where the qualifications considered in totality are comparable to the requirement in (i).)
3. Good Command of both Chinese and English (Meeting the language proficiency requirement of Level 2 in the two language papers (Use of Chinese and Use of English) in the Common Recruitment Examination (CRE), or EQUIVALENT.)
4. Aptitude Test (A Pass in the Aptitude Test in the Common Recruitment Examination (CRE).
5. Basic Law Test (A pass result in the Basic Law Test (Degree / Professional Grades).
1. Starting Salary
Pitched at Point 27 of the Master Pay Scale, which is at present HK$55,995 per month
2. Annual Vacation Leave
Annual vacation leave of 18 days per year
3. Fringe Benefits
Free medical and dental treatment. On reaching Point 34 of the Master Pay Scale, officers will become eligible for housing benefits (a non-accountable cash allowance)
4. Retirement Benefit
Mandatory Provident Fund on appointment on probationary terms; Civil Service Provident Fund on appointment on permanent terms.
For more details, please visit the AO Recruitment website.
And we have invited two young Adminstrative Officers Vincent and Kiki to share their reasons of serving at the Administrative Officer Grade, working experience and interview tips. Don't miss the sharing if you are interested in the Administrative Officer Grade!
(The video is broadcasted in Cantonese)