Hash Tag - Youth.gov.hk
Skip to main content


Search Result: 31

Tips for DSE Students on Relief of Stress

It is natural for students sitting for the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination (DSE) to feel worried. You may worry about your prospects as well as possible changes to come. Amid the epidemic, you may also experience exceptional challenges when preparing for the DSE. Proper management of negative emotions and stress would help your maintain a good condition fit for facing future challenges.  Plan in advanceCollect information on study and career in advance, and write down a few mock plans and options. You would feel more at ease with more concrete information at hand.   Keep open for alternativesStay positive about various possible scenarios. Remind yourself that “there are more choices and alternatives than what we expect”, and try to make back up career and study plans that are suitable for you.   Seek adviceYou may receive loads of information on further study. Advice from your teachers or peers with experience can ease your concerns. Share your views honestly with your parents enables them to understand you more and thus help you to make better choices.   Enjoy the momentIf you start to feel worried, remind yourself that not much can be done to change the plans and extra worries will not help. Work out a daily schedule, focus on the present and enjoy some relaxing activities to free yourself from anxiety.  Look for supportGather with your family and friends to relax and share with each other experience and ways of managing stress and anxiety. You may also share with them your stress before the release of the exam results via video calls amid the epidemic.    Seek support immediately if you experience persistent negative emotions. Feeling stressed after the exam results are released? No worries, stay tuned to our website for information on stress relief after the release of the exam results. Last but not least, we wish each and every DSE candidates the best: do your best and no regrets! Reference Student Health Service, Department of Health: Emotional Health Tips The Hong Kong Jockey Club Centre for Suicide Research and Prevention, The University of Hong Kong (Chinese only)   Other Resources Student Health Service, Department of Health: Exam Stress Management Student Health Service, Department of Health: Stress of Exam Results Hok Yau Club & Radio Television Hong Kong: Podcast Online“Time to strive for DSE" (Chinese only) Shall We Talk: Practical Tips on Managing DSE Stress Hong Kong Federation of Youth Groups: Supporting Zone of DSE (Chinese only)

DSE Way out: Vocational and Professional Education and Training

Students may apply vocational and training programmes after the DSE. Some other education providers offer various vocational and professional education and training programmes for them, allowing them to devise their own pathways according to their abilities and aspirations. The course providers will adopt flexibility to meet with the demands of students. Hong Kong Institute of Construction - Certificate in Construction (For S3 or above)  - Diploma in Construction (For S6 graduates)  - Advanced Diploma (For DSE students)  - Full-time Short Courses Clothing Industry Training Authority- Certificate/ Diploma/ Professional Diploma Programmes Employees Retraining Board (ERB) - Manpower Development Scheme (Placement-tied Courses, Generic Skills Training Courses and Youth Training Courses)HKPC Academy - Training ProgrammeSocial Welfare Department - Navigation Scheme for Young Persons in Care ServicesVocational Training Council - Diploma  - Diploma of Vocational Education  - Diploma of Foundation Studies  - Earn & Learn Scheme Labour Department - Youth Employment and Training Progamme (YETP)  - Youth Employment Start (Y.E.S.)  

What DSE result is required for entering local Universities/Sub-Degree Programmes?

Entrance requirements for undergraduate programmesStudents taking the HKDSE have to attain a minimum of level 3 for Chinese Language and English Language and level 2 for Mathematics and Liberal Studies (i.e. “3322”), in order to meet the minimum requirements necessary to apply for the 4-year undergraduate programmes offered by the University Grants Committee (UGC)-funded institutions. Apart from the four core subjects, institutions will also set the requirements for one or two elective subjects, and other admission requirements. For the Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts and self-financing institutions, general admission requirements regarding the core subjects are the same as the UGC-funded sector. For elective subjects, the general requirement is level 2 in one subject. Details of the admission requirements could be found at the JUPAS website and the tertiary institutions websites. UGC-funded InstitutionsCity University of Hong KongHong Kong Baptist UniversityLingnan UniversityThe Chinese University of Hong KongThe Education University of Hong KongThe Hong Kong Polytechnic UniversityThe Hong Kong University of Science and TechnologyThe University of Hong Kong Self-financing Post-secondary InstitutionsCaritas Bianchi College of CareersCaritas Institute of Community EducationCaritas Institute of Higher Education (formerly known as Caritas Francis Hsu College)Centennial CollegeChu Hai College of Higher EducationCity University of Hong Kong, School of Continuing and Professional EducationHong Kong Shue Yan UniversityVocational Training CouncilOpen University of Hong KongThe Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts Entrance requirements for Sub-Degree ProgrammesThe Federation for Self-financing Tertiary Education has recommended that the general minimum entrance requirement, as set under the updated Common Descriptors for sub-degree programmes (including associate degree programmes and higher diploma programmes), should be level 2 obtained in five subjects (including Chinese Language and English Language) in the HKDSE or equivalent. The Vocational Training Council also adopts the same minimum entrance requirements for their higher diploma programmes. Details of the admission requirements are as follows: Federation for Self-financing Tertiary Education. Please visit HKEAA website for more details.

DSE way out: Enrol the Nurse Training Programmes

The Nursing Council of Hong Kong has set out the minimum entry requirements for applicants with HKDSE Examination results for receiving 3-year pre-registration or 2-year pre-enrolment nursing programmes。For 3-year preregistration nursing programmes, the minimum entry requirement is Level 3 for Chinese Language and English Language, and Level 2 for Mathematics, Liberal Studies and one Senior Secondary subject in the HKDSE Examination.For 2-year preenrolment nursing programmes, the minimum entry requirement is Level 2 in five subjects, including Chinese Language, English Language, Mathematics and two other Senior Secondary subjects or Applied Learning subjects (“Attained”) in the HKDSE Examination. Individual training institutions (List of Gazetted Registered Nurse Training Schools, as at 29 March 2019 / List of Gazetted Enrolled Nurse Training Schools, as at 18 December 2018) may set their own entry requirements and admission policy for nurse training, provided that the required standards meet the minimum educational standard set by the Council. Students may note further information to be provided by individual institutions in due course. For details, please visit the website of the Nursing Council of Hong Kong.

DSE Way out: Has the HKDSE been recognised globally?

Has the HKDSE been recognised globally for admission purpose at tertiary institutions worldwide? The HKDSE qualification has gained wide recognition among various end-users, including the HKSAR government, which is the biggest employer, local tertiary institutions, as well as overseas authorities and governments, including Canada, US, UK, Australia, Europe and South East Asia. More than 280 tertiary institutions worldwide have indicated their acceptance of students with HKDSE qualification and overseas universities/institutions will continue to provide feedback. Students can apply directly to overseas universities or institutions using their HKDSE Examination results. >>>Details about the general admission requirements for HKDSE from different universities/ institutions>>>Updated information about the recognition of HKDSESome of the Mainland universities have admitted Hong Kong students on the strength of their HKDSE Examination results and exempted them from the Joint Entrance Examination for Universities in the People’s Republic of China. Starting from 2012, universities in Taiwan have also waived the Overseas Joint College Entrance Examination for Hong Kong students and consider their admissions on the strength of their HKDSE results.While submitting applications for admissionStudents intending to pursue university, foundation courses, commercial, technical or other courses in the Mainland / outside Hong Kong are reminded to collect in-depth information before submitting their applications. Students can access reference materials1 about non-local further studies on the Life Planning Information Website of Education Bureau. Besides, students may seek relevant information from the respective Consulates or Commissions of the countries concerned. Students are also advised to stay vigilant while submitting applications for admission, especially when it involves depositing a large amount of down-payment as registration or tuition fees.Authorised agencies for entering the Mainland placesAt present, the only organisations authorised to provide immigration facilities to enter the Mainland / places outside Hong Kong are China Travel Service (Hong Kong) Ltd. / the respective immigration services or Consulates in Hong Kong. Students should note that even if a visa is granted after making a payment to the travel agencies or other agencies, it does not imply that there is any connection between the two parties. Therefore, students should not get misled to believe that places of overseas education programmes or courses in the Mainland are secured after making payments to such agencies, or they have to bear the risks and loss so incurred. For enquiries, please contact the Career Guidance Section at 3698 4126.

DSE Way out: Ten things that you should know before enrolling non-local Courses in HK

Many Instituions launch non-local degree programmes in Hong Kong, include first-year bachelor's degree programmes and top-up degree programmes. The number of places offered will be flexible to cater for demand. Below are ten points that you should pay attention to.1. Choose courses which are registered or exempted;2. Verify the registration/exemption status of the courses by checking the lists of registered and exempted courses at this site or making enquiries to the Non-local Courses Registry's hotlines (Tel: 2520 0255, 2520 0559);3. Take notice that an advertisement of a registered course should bear the registration number of the course. For an exempted course, it should be stated clearly that the course is an exempted course. In addition, all advertisements of registered courses or exempted courses should contain the statement which reads "It is a matter of discretion for individual employers to recognise any qualification to which this course may lead";4. Not to pay any fee or charge before it is sure that the course is registered or exempted under the Ordinance;5. Check the payment arrangements and refund policy before making payment;6. Obtain receipts from the course operator when making payment, and the receipts should contain details such as name of the operator, name of the course and the service(s) paid for, amount of the fees/charges, etc.; 7. Keep all receipts and course information issued by the course operator since some of them may serve as a contract with the operator.8. The registration or exemption of a non-local course under the Ordinance does not carry with it any indication or implication whatsoever that this confers any particular standing to the course or comparability to a local degree programme. The recognition of any qualification for employment purposes is a matter within the discretion of individual employers.9. If the course you are interested in is delivered in distance learning mode which does not require to be registered, you are strongly advised to check with the course provider/operator on the course details, in particular the qualification to be obtained, the payment arrangements and refund policy before making payment.10. Understand that some of the courses on the list of registered/exempted non-local courses are locally accredited by the Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic and Vocational Qualifications under the Qualifications Framework and listed in the Qualifications Register. For more details, please visit Education Bureau website.

DSE Way out: Government job

Q: Does the Government accept HKDSEqualifications for civil service appointments?A: The government has announced that results in the HKDSE Examination are accepted for civil service appointment purposes with effect from 20 July 2012. For related details, please visit the website of the Civil Service Bureau.Q: Does the results in the HKDSE Examination as equivalent to the results in the Common Recruitment Examination (CRE)?A: Level 5 or above in English Language of the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination (HKDSEE) is accepted as equivalent to Level 2 in the UE paper of the CRE.  Level 5 or above in Chinese Language of the HKDSEE is accepted as equivalent to Level 2 in the UC paper of the CRE.  Applicants with the above result(s) will NOT be arranged to take the UE and / or UC paper(s).Level 4 in English Language of the HKDSEE is accepted as equivalent to Level 1 in the UE paper of the CRE.  Level 4 in Chinese Language of the HKDSEE is accepted as equivalent to Level 1 in the UC paper of the CRE.  Applicants with the above result(s) may wish to take this into account in deciding whether they need to take the UE and / or UC paper(s) having regard to the requirements of the civil service post(s) in which they are interested. For related details, please visit the website of the Civil Service Bureau.Q. With the HKDSE in place, what is the acceptance arrangement for civil service posts with entry requirement set at “a pass in five subjects in HKCEE” and "2A3O"?A: Under the NAS, a combination of the following results in five subjects in the HKDSE Examination are accepted as meeting the requirement of “a pass in five subjects in HKCEE”:- Level 2 in Senior Secondary subjects;- “Attained” in Applied Learning (ApL) subjects (subject to a maximum of two ApL subjects); and- Grade E in Other Language subjects. A candidate attaining results in 5 subjects in HKDSE in any combination of the following will be regarded as having met the requirement for “2A3O”:- Level 3 in Senior Secondary subjects;- “Attained with Distinction” in ApL subjects (subject to a maximum of two ApL subjects); and- Grade c in Other Language subjects.For related details, please visit the website of the Civil Service Bureau. >>>Click here to search for a Government jobs now!

DSE Way out: Repeating S6/Private candidates

Before deciding whether to repeat S6, students should think and consider: (i) the reasons for the unsatisfactory results;(ii) the confidence of making improvement in the new attempt;(iii) the advice and suggestions of teachers and family; and(iv) whether there are other study pathways. For Repeaters School-based Assessment (SBA) is compulsory for S6 school repeaters. However, students are required to submit SBA marks for S6 only, which will be proportionally adjusted to the full weighting of individual subjects and incorporated into their subject mark. Their SBA results obtained in previous examinations will not be counted. The Education Bureau (EDB) has released the list of “List of schools admitting HKDSE S6 repeaters from the other schools (2023/24 school year)" at the Designated Webpage for S6 Students. For Private Candidates Private candidates are not required to complete the SBA component of the subjects entered. Their subject marks will be based entirely on their public examination results. For Visual Arts in which the SBA component carries a weighting of 50%, private candidates will be required to submit a portfolio in lieu of the SBA. Repeating S6 is definitely not the only option. Multiple pathways under the New Academic Structure are available to senior secondary graduates. Students can consider applying for subdegree programmes or other programmes/training, including Diploma of Applied Education Programme, Vocational and Professional Education and Training programmes, Youth Employment and Training Programme of the Labour Department or employment. For more information, please visit EDB's Designated Webpage for S6 Students.