Hash Tag - Youth.gov.hk
Skip to main content


Search Result: 11


The date of 2020 Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination (HKDSE) results release is approaching. By collecting and consolidating useful DSE information into the “DSE Hub”, Youth.gov.hk's editorial team strives to assist students to plan for their multiple pathways and to step forward for their academic and career aspirations.    This “DSE Hub” is comprised of four sections, namely 1. Preparation before DSE Results Release 2. Study Series 3. Career Series 4. Subsidy Series - [Preparation] Helpful Tips for the Big Day - [Preparation] We Support You! - [Study] JUPAS Offer Results Release - [Study] Information on Non-JUPAS Applications - [Study] Study in the Mainland and Overseas - [Study] Instructions to Repeaters & Private Candidates - [Study] How to Prepare for Your Interview? - [Career] Ways to Get Employed - [Career] Advice on Finding and Adapting to a Job - [Career] On-the-job Training  - [Subsidy] Subsidy Schemes for Local Studies - [Subsidy] Any subsidy for Studying in the Mainland?  

[Study] Instructions to Repeaters & Private Candidates

If you are one of the students considering retaking the HKDSE, be reminded not only it is important to find the ways to boost your academic results, but also to evaluate your decision strategically. Candidates should also pay attention to crucial information such as entry qualifications and application timeline in order to plan ahead for your repeating year. 01 | Three Variables With reference to Hok Yau Club’s article, "3 Major Considerations for Retaking DSE" (Chinese version only), three key variables are extracted below which would help the repeaters to make informed decisions. For details, please refer to the relevant website: -    Evaluate your past experience of preparing for the DSE-    Align your interests and/or aspirations with your decision of repeating DSE-    Choose a suitable method to retake (e.g. repeating DSE at the same or at another school, or being a private candidate) 02 | Entry Qualifications for Private Candidates A person may enter for the 2021 Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination (HKDSE) as a private candidate provided he/she has satisfied the requirements set out at (a) or (b) or (c) below: (a)    The person has sat the previous HKDSE or an equivalent examination, or(b)    The person has reached the age of 19 by 1 January of the year of the Examination, or(c)    The person has completed or is currently pursuing a non-HKDSE curriculum equivalent to Secondary 6 in the year preceding the Examination. The Authority may consider applications from persons possessing other qualifications or pleading special circumstances.  Persons who have sat other public examinations are expected to demonstrate a suitable level of competence in the same subject(s) entered for the Examination and may be required to provide supporting documents from their schools (if applicable).  Persons who are currently pursuing an HKDSE curriculum will not normally be considered for special entry to the Examination.  Exceptional cases may be considered on a case-by-case basis.  Applications under this regulation must be made in writing to the Secretary General of the Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority on or before 23 July 2020 (please refer to the website for any updates).  03 | Instructions to Applicants Students can submit their applications through the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination (HKDSE) Online Services. For the registration details, please refer to Registration for Category C (Other Languages) Subjects Instructions to Applicants (Private Candidates).   Sources: Hok Yau Club (Chinese version only) Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority

[Study] Information on Non-JUPAS Applications

Apart from getting a place into universities through JUPAS, students may consider applying post-secondary programmes not covered by JUPAS. Here are some information about non-JUPAS applications, including programme duration, tuition fees, academic accreditation, professional recognition of a programme and career pathways. Students are advised to access: 1.  The Concourse for Self-financing Post-secondary Education (CSPE)2.  The Information Portal for Accredited Post-secondary Programmes (IPASS) For application details for full-time accredited sub-degree and bachelor degree courses outside of JUPAS, please refer to “2020 Application Information and Admission Arrangement for Full-time Locally-accredited Sub-degree and Undergraduate Programmes NOT Covered under JUPAS”. For more information, please contact the corresponding institutions directly. The corresponding institutions are listed (in alphabetical order) below:  Caritas Bianchi College of Careers Caritas Institute of Higher Education Chu Hai College of Higher Education Community College of City University/ UOW College Hong Kong City University of Hong Kong – School of Continuing and Professional Education Gratia Christian College HKU School of Professional and Continuing Education (HKU SPACE) HKU SPACE Community College HKU SPACE Po Leung Kuk Stanley Ho Community College Hong Kong Art School (a division of Hong Kong Arts Centre) Hong Kong Baptist University (Bachelor of Commerce (Hons) in Accountancy) Hong Kong Baptist University - Academy of Film Hong Kong Baptist University – College of International Education Hong Kong Baptist University – School of Continuing Education Hong Kong College of Technology HKCT Institute of Higher Education Hong Kong Institute of Technology Hong Kong Nang Yan College of Higher Education Hong Kong Shue Yan University Lingnan University (Bachelor of Arts (Hons) in Animation and Digital Arts) Lingnan Institute of Further Education The Chinese University of Hong Kong - School of Continuing and Professional Studies The Education University of Hong Kong The Hang Seng University of Hong Kong The Hong Kong Academy for Performing Arts The Hong Kong Polytechnic University – Hong Kong Community College The Hong Kong Polytechnic University –School of Professional Education and Executive Development The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Applicable to the Bachelor of Business Administration in World Business only) (The Bachelor of Business Administration in World Business only accepts Year 1 entry.) The Open University of Hong Kong The Open University of Hong Kong – Li Ka Shing School of Professional and Continuing Education Tung Wah College Vocational Training Council Yew Chung College of Early Childhood Education YMCA College of Careers Note: The information above is for general reference purpose.  For details, please contact individual institutions direct.  There is a lot of information regarding non-JUPAS admissions. Gather your information in advance and plan ahead.   Sources: Education Bureau - Life Planning Information Website Education Bureau - The Concourse for Self-financing Post-secondary Education

[Preparation] We Support You!

Everyone experiences stress differently over exam results on the DSE result release day. Unrelieved stress may trigger various physical, emotional, cognitive and behavioural responses. Beware of these stress signals in order to manage your stress as early as possible. The more stress signals you have, the greater your need for professional help and counselling is. If you find yourself in need of career guidance and emotional counselling, you may wish to talk to someone you trust. The counsellors from many social welfare organizations are ready to listen to your needs and they will provide you with useful information, supports and guidance. We have picked a list of organisations provided by the Education Bureau regarding the available career guidance and emotional counselling services. The forms of services provided by these organisations include: online counselling services, counselling hotlines and face-to-face meetings. The Shall We Talk initiative, which is jointly organised by the Advisory Committee on Mental Health and the Department of Health, delivers a series of information for students including HKDSE mental health information, mental well-being and mental distress. Some organisations that provide emergency helplines and local mental health online support services are also listed on the dedicated website. In addition to the above information, the Education Bureau has also collated the counselling services organisations into a “Community Resources and Helplines” list, in which counselling services that are suitable for DSE candidates are selected below. The counselling services are offered through various channels, you can simply click on the links to contact the organisations directly.  1. Jockey Club Online Youth Emotional Support - Open Up (Chinese and English) Website: https://www.openup.hk/index.htm?lang=en Facebook / Instagram / WeChat: hkopenup SMS: 9101 2012 Service Hours: 24-hour online counselling service 2. The Samaritan Befrienders Hong Kong (Chinese and English) Website: https://www.sbhk.org.hk/index.php?lang=en Phone Number: 2389 2222 (Chinese) Service Hours: 24-hour Phone Number: 2389 2223 (English) Service Hours: Monday to Friday (6:30 pm to 10 pm, except public holidays)  “Chatpoint” Web Engagement Service  (Chinese only) Website: https://chatpoint.org.hk/#/home Service Hours: Monday to Friday (6 am to 1 am next day) Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays (8 pm to 1 am next day) 3. Jockey Club Cyber Youth Outreach Service - Caritas Infinity Teens (Cantonese, Putonghua, English) Website : http://it.caritas.org.hk/  (Chinese only) Phone Number: 2339 3759 Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/caritas.infinityteens WhatsApp: 9377 3666 Telegram: https://t.me/Caritasinfinityteens Email: ycsteens@caritassws.org.hk Service hours of the online counselling services: Monday and Tuesday (10 am to 6 pm); Wednesday and Thursday (2 pm to 10 pm); Friday and Saturday (6 pm to 2 am next day); Closed on Sundays and Public Holidays The above information is for reference only. Updated information will be subjected to the announcement of individual organisations. If information from other organisations is needed, please contact the school social workers, counsellors, etc.   Sources:Education Bureau - Life Planning Information WebsiteThe Shall We Talk initiative The Samaritan Befrienders Hong Kong Jockey Club Online Youth Emotional Support - Open UpJockey Club Cyber Youth Outreach Service - Caritas Infinity Teens (Chinese version only)

[Preparation] Helpful Tips for the Big Day

*In view of the COVID-19 pandemic, schools may go for an online results release.  Remember to keep in view the latest arrangement of your school! As the DSE results will soon be released, you might feel excited for turning a new page in life, but it is also natural for you to feel nervous about the road ahead.  Therefore, the editorial team has gathered some information regarding the results release day and future planning for your better preparation. After the results are released, you may also learn about the strategies for modifying your programme choices on JUPAS as well as planning your future with reference from the below articles. 1. Reprioritising of Programme Choices under JUPAS2. DSE出路任縱橫 (Chinese version only) If you would like to search for a future pathway that matches your personal attributes, you can participate in psychological tests such as《型格人》*(Chinese version only) and the Academic Programme Preference Inventory (APPI) **. These tests help to better understand yourself and to learn about your suitable academic programmes or career paths. Like other psychological tests, the assessment results are for your reference only, and the final decision remains in your hands. *The test is provided by Hang Seng – St. James’ Settlement "I am..." Youth Portal **The Academic Programme Preference Inventory (APPI) is provided by Centre for Research in Distance & Adult Learning of the Open University of Hong Kong (OUHK) and Hok Yau Club.   Sources:Hang Seng – St. James’ Settlement "I am..." Youth Portal (Chinese version only)Hok Yau Club (Chinese version only)

Reprioritising of Programme Choices under JUPAS

As the saying goes, “opportunity is open to those well prepared for it”. The HKDSE results will be released soon, have you prepared yourself for the multiple possibilities of your study path? FOUR Principles for Reprioritising of Programme Choices under JUPAS Students have the opportunity of reprioritising their programme choices under JUPAS after the announcement of the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) results. In doing so, we have extracted some necessary tips for your preparation in reprioritising your programme choices and choosing post-secondary programmes. The principles are: Understand your interests, abilities and career aspirations. Interest should be the most important factor affecting your choice. Think carefully about which programmes you really like and the planning after graduation. It is a precious time to study undergraduate programmes which last for four years. Your university life will not be happy if you study in a programme you have no interest at all. Refer to the past records of admission qualification of your preferred programmes. HKDSE candidates may refer to the past records of admission qualification of the programmes you prefer and pay attention to the number of intakes of each programme. There will be about 41 238 candidates in this year’s HKDSE. It is anticipated that the competition is very keen. Check whether you will be able to meet the programme entrance requirements of individual universities; list the programme in Band A if you are given a “conditional offer” or “bonus points”. If you are interested in certain professional subjects, apply both a general programme which provides a major selective in the second year as well as a dedicated professional programme. For more please visit “Principles for Reprioritising of Programme Choices under Joint University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS) and Tips for Choosing Post-secondary Programmes not covered by JUPAS” of the  “Careers Guidance Handbook for Secondary School Graduates 2020” published by the Education Bureau and the Hong Kong Association of Careers Masters and Guidance Masters.   Source:Education Bureau - Life Planning Information Website

[Career] Advice on Finding and Adapting to a Job

Feeling anxious about your first job hunt? Don’t worry! From CV writing to job searching, we have compiled a list of resources to solve your problems! 1. Job Hunting Briefcase       - Choose your career   - Job Application   - Application letter & CV template   - Interview   - Questions frequently asked during the interview   - Interview follow-up and evaluation   - Beware of employment traps 2. Youth.gov.hk – Job Seeking      - Methods of job seeking   - Points to note when applying for jobs   - Employment traps   - Job interview strategies Lastly, after being employed, you may feel puzzled about your new job. Don’t worry. Remember the following points and complete your job assignments step by step, then you will be able to adapt to the new environment quickly. 1. Be friendly and modest: be sincere, friendly and modest. 2. Create nice impression: be punctual; act and dress properly to create a good impression. 3. Concentrate on your work: Remember to finish your job in time. 4. Approach your boss or colleague for guidance: When you encounter any difficulties or have doubts about your job, try to work out the solution by yourself first. In case you have no idea how to solve them, seek for assistance from your boss or colleagues politely. 5. Maintain good relationship: Good communication is built up by more listening, less speaking. Visit Youth Employment Start – How to adapt yourself to a new environment? for more details. If you want to know more about the attributes that make you an ideal employee, you may also refer to the attached articles "Attributes of Favorable Employees" and "Attributes of Unfavorable Employees".   Sources:Labour Department - Interactive Employment Service Labour Department - Youth Employment Start  

Vocational Training

Vocational Training Council For your future career development, you have to equip yourself with professional knowledge and skills. The Vocational Training Council (VTC) was established under the Vocational Training Council Ordinance to provide programmes from certificate level to higher diploma to suit the needs of people with different educational backgrounds. Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education  Operated by the VTC, the Hong Kong Institute of Vocational Education (IVE), the School of Business and Information Systems (SBI) and the Hong Kong Design Institute (HKDI) offer full-time and part-time courses covering nine disciplines for students of  secondary 6 and secondary 3 as well as for working adults. More different types of courses are also provided by other institutions and centres of the VTC. You will be able to find courses that suit your needs and interests for career development. Employees Retraining Board  The “Vocational Development Programme” of the VTC’s Youth College is funded by the Employees Retraining Board's “Youth Training Programme” and is suitable for the non-engaged youth aged 15 to 24 with education attainment at secondary education level or below. The programme consists of “Teen's Programme”, “Modern Apprenticeship Scheme” and “Ethnic Minority Programme”, which offer these youth with various interesting vocational training courses and help them set up a clear direction on their career path. Training programs for construction or clothing industry If you are interested in the construction or in the clothing industry, the Construction Industry Council and the Clothing Industry Training Authority provide full-time training programmes for young people who wish to pursue a career in the related industries. Part-time programmes are also available for in-service personnel to help improve and enhance their skills. Skills Upgrading Scheme Young people should always continue to improve themselves by keeping up-to-date with new information and skills. This is also the main objective of the Skills Upgrading Scheme. The scheme provides targeted training programmes for post-secondary students and for the basic-level work force, helping them to improve their skills. Through collaboration among employers, employees, training institutions and the Government, the scheme also offers high-quality courses which are widely acknowledged by the industry. Details of the Schemes’ courses are easily accessible on internet.

Secondary Education

Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE)  The New Academic Structure (NAS) implemented in September 2009. Under NAS, all students are expected to complete three years of junior secondary education followed by three years of senior secondary education. Upon completion of this six-year secondary education, students will take the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination (HKDSE), which aims to measure the attainment of students. The HKDSE was administered for the first time in 2012. Most of the candidates are presented by schools. Sub-degree Programmes  Sub-degree programmes (including Higher Diploma and Associate Degree programmes) are independent and valuable qualifications preparing students for employment in associate professional and management positions at entry level, or for articulation to top-up degree programmes. iPASS  You may browse Education Bureau’s website for more information on accredited self-financing post-secondary courses at iPASS. Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority publications  As a student, you have to face issues on your education path and career matters as well as the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination (HKDSE). Reference books are your essential tools to prepare for the examination. Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority publications should be useful to you. There are subject examination reports and question papers covering various aspects of the examination, including the objectives, content and format of the examination, question papers, marking schemes, and examiners' comments on candidates' performance in the examination. You can order your copy online. Career Guidance  Life Planning Information Website of the Education Bureau aims to provide students, teachers, parents and the public with required information of life planning education and careers information handily. Joint University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS) You can apply through the Joint University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS) for admission to bachelor’s degree programmes and selected associate degree / higher diploma programmes offered by its participating institutions. All applications will be submitted online and it is easy to get yourself acquainted with the application procedures. Full-time self-financing post-secondary programmes  Besides University Grants Committee (UGC) funded institutions, there are many full-time self-financing post-secondary programmes available. These full-time self-financing post-secondary programmes at sub-degree levels (Associate Degree or Higher Diploma) or above, all meet the Government's quality requirements and are run by different education institutions.  


Hong Kong public examinations The study rooms are always full during the months from March till May, when the major public examination, the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) takes place. If you have to buy Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority (HKEAA)’s publications, you can easily do it online. Other examinations Apart from the HKCEE and HKALE, the HKEAA also conducts other examinations including Test of Proficiency in Putonghua, Language Proficiency Assessment for Teachers and a large number of examinations on behalf of local and overseas examining bodies, which include professional bodies, examination boards, colleges and universities. Relieving stress  To alleviate examination stress, you can do some physical exercises to keep yourself in good shape and to reduce stress. In doing so, your examination results are likely to be improved as well.  

Continuing Education

Continuing Education Fund If you want to better equip yourself but also seek some form of financial assistance, you might consider the Continuing Education Fund (CEF).  It subsidises adult learners who enrol in the reimbursable education and training courses. Eligible applicants may submit an unlimited number of claims for reimbursement of course fees on successful completion of CEF reimbursable courses up to a maximum sum of HK$20,000.  The co-payment ratios by learners (i.e. the percentage of course fee to be borne by learners) for the first HK$10,000 subsidy is 20% of the course fee and that for the second HK$10,000 subsidy is 40% of the course fee. Vocational Training Council part-time courses The Government, through collaboration with different educational institutions, offers courses designed for different levels of people. The Vocational Training Council part-time courses offer various types of courses from certificates to higher diplomas for young people and working adults with different academic background and educational attainment. Most Higher Diploma courses are designed with multiple entry and exit points. You can plan your study schedule in accordance with your circumstances and needs. Continuing education courses In addition, other institutions and professional bodies also offer continuing education courses, giving you even more choices. Using the search engine, you can plan your learning according to your interested area of study, college, institution or tuition fee. Yi Jin Diploma  The Government has also launched the Yi Jin Diploma programme which aims to provide an alternative pathway for secondary 6 school leavers as well as adult learners aged 21 or above to obtain a formal qualification for the purposes of employment and further study. Higher-level courses offered by organisations outside Hong Kong  If you are considering courses offered by institutions outside Hong Kong, you have to visit the one-stop information hub for higher-level and professional courses offered by organisations outside Hong Kong. It has a comprehensive list of programmes, frequently asked questions, and other useful tips.