Jump to SearchJump to MenuJump to Content

Information Centre


Salaries tax

You are liable for salaries tax on your income arising in or derived from employment in Hong Kong. You may get detailed information from the “e-Seminar for Individual Taxpayers”.

Profits tax

On the other hand, if you carry on any trade, profession or business in Hong Kong, you are liable for profits tax.

Personal assessment

If you only have business profit, you may seek tax relief by electing for personal assessment. For details, read information about personal assessment.

Tax amount

How much tax should you pay? If you are chargeable to salaries tax or have elected for personal assessment, the tax amount is calculated according to tax rates for salaries tax and personal assessment. You are entitled to basic personal allowance and you may also claim for the deduction of outgoings and expenses.

Tax computation

You may calculate your tax liability online using the tax computation program. Further, you may calculate your profits tax liability by referring to profits tax rates.

Lodge an objection against your assessment

If you disagree with the assessment, you can lodge an objection against your assessment.

Filing tax returns

How do you complete a tax return? Just visit the Filing Tax Returns section of GovHK for information. If you are required to complete Profits Tax Return, you can visit the website for advice on completing profits tax return.


As the Internet generation, you may also opt for filing or viewing your tax returns online. But first you have to open an eTAX account to authenticate your identity to use the electronic services.

Electronic Tax Reserve Certificates Scheme

Save money to pay tax. You may consider joining the Electronic Tax Reserve Certificates Scheme to build up funds for your tax payment.

Tax payment methods

There are various tax payment methods. Find out the one that is most convenient to you and pay before the due dates.

Late charges for tax in default

There are late charges for tax in default.

Tax enquiries

Interactive Tax Enquiries is an easy and simple way to enquire about your tax information and details, such as tax return, assessment notices and payment status.

Change of address

If there is change of address, remember to notify the Inland Revenue Department. Otherwise, you will not receive a tax return or assessment. If you fail to file the return or pay tax on time, you will be exposed to penal action being taken.