Jump to SearchJump to MenuJump to Content

Information Centre

Secondary Education

Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) 

The New Academic Structure (NAS) implemented in September 2009. Under the NAS, all students will have the opportunity to study up to Secondary 6. Secondary 6 students under the NAS will sit for the first Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination in 2012.

Sub-degree Programmes 

If you have achieved Level 2 or above in both English Language and Chinese Language as well as passes in three other subjects in the Hong Kong Certificate of Education Examination (HKCEE), you may consider applying for sub-degree programmes, which include Associate Degree and Higher Diploma programmes. Secondary 5 graduates may choose to proceed to 3-year sub-degree programmes. Sub-degrees are valuable standalone qualifications for employment at the junior management or para-professional level. Graduates of sub-degree programmes with satisfactory results may proceed to the second year of 3-year undergraduate programmes or the third year of 4-year undergraduate programmes.


You may browse Education Bureau’s website for more information on accredited self-financing post-secondary courses at iPASS.

Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority publications 

As a matriculate student, you have to face issues on your education path and career matters as well as the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education Examination (HKDSE). Reference books are your essential tools to prepare for the examination. Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority publications should be useful to you. There are subject examination reports and question papers covering various aspects of the examination, including the objectives, content and format of the examination, question papers, marking schemes, and examiners' comments on candidates' performance in the examination. You can order your copy online.

Career Guidance 

Life planning of the Education Bureau provides tips for further studies, career and prospect matters. It can help you get ready for the next step.

Joint University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS)

You can apply through the Joint University Programmes Admissions System (JUPAS) for admission to bachelor’s degree programmes and selected associate degree / higher diploma programmes offered by its participating institutions. All applications will be submitted online and it is easy to get yourself acquainted with the application procedures.

Full-time self-financing post-secondary programmes 

Besides University Grants Committee (UGC) funded institutions, there are many full-time self-financing post-secondary programmes available. These full-time self-financing post-secondary programmes at sub-degree levels (Associate Degree or Higher Diploma) or above, all meet the Government's quality requirements and are run by different education institutions.